Bu-lat-lat (boo-lat-lat) verb: to search, probe, investigate, inquire; to unearth facts

Volume 2, Number 42               November 24 - 30, 2002            Quezon City, Philippines

Join the Bulatlat.com mailing list!

Powered by groups.yahoo.com

“A man devoted to public service”
Support for Sison Swells

Catholic and Protestant bishops, a senator, and the vice president of the land no less were among the latest to speak out against the terrorist tag by the United States (U.S.) government and, recently, the European Union (EU) on Jose Ma. Sison, acknowledged founder of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP).

BY BULATLAT.COM

A few days after the European Union Council’s rejection of Sison’s bid for asylum, militant groups and individuals came out with statements condemning the decision. 

In a gathering of peace and human rights advocates at the University of the Philippines Asian Center last Nov. 19, the hall could barely accommodate all the persons who showed up to support the alleged CPP leader.

Speakers included Obispo Maximo Tomas Millamena, Supreme Bishop of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente, Vic Ladlad of the progressive political party Bayan Muna (People First), UP President Francisco Nemenzo, Judge Romeo Capulong, urban poor leader Nanay Mameng Deunida and former beauty queen Nelia Sancho who is also co-chairperson of the Committee to Defend the Rights of Sison. 

Video taped messages from Bishop Julio X. Labayen, OCD, former co-chairman of the Ecumenical Bishops Forum (EBF), and Senator Loren Legarda were shown during the program, as well as interviews with Vice Pres. Teofisto Guingona and House Speaker Jose de Venecia.

Batting for peace

Bp. Labayen reiterated the call for continuing formal peace talks between the government and the National Democratic Front of the Philippines (NDFP) and urged the EU Council to immediately remove the CPP, New People’s Army (NPA) and Sison from its list of “terrorists.” 

“I don't know him personally,” said the bishop. “But I stand on the principles of human rights, peace and due process.” He added, “I may not agree with Prof. Sison on the ideology of Marxism. But we are companions in the hope of attaining just and lasting peace for the common good of Filipinos and all peoples of the world.” 

Meanwhile, Bp. Millamena, who is also current co-third party depository of the GRP-NDFP Peace Negotiations, urged the offering of a Solemn Eucharist at exactly 3:00 o’clock in the afternoon of Nov. 24, Feast of Christ the King which he declared as a “National Day Of Prayer For Peace” for the resumption of the peace talks and for peace and justice in the country.

Legarda on the other hand said, “I am unabashed in saying that I have always regarded Jose Maria Sison with deep respect, as I would any Filipino dedicated to promote our country’s best interests… Joma Sison struck me as a man devoted to public service. I have no doubt that in the future, his distinct ideological beliefs will not serve as insurmountable barrier to arriving at common solutions to our country’s problems.”

Earlier, Bp. Labayen along with other religious leaders signed a petition for the resumption of the peace talks. The other signatories include Bishops Deogracias Iñiguez, Ignacio Soliba, Tomas Millamena, Elmer Bolocon, Solito K. Toquero, Jose R. Manguiran, D.D., Generoso C. Camiña, PME, D.D., Antonio R. Tobias, D.D., JCL, Mike Yamoyam, Joel Pachao, Erme R. Camba, Gabriel A. Garol, Alan Ray Sarte, Rizalino Q. Taganas, Isaias L. Bingtan, Benjamin Barloso, Constante Claro, Osias Jaim, Anacleto Serafica, Ebenezer Camino, Leo Soriano, Benjamin A. Justo, Alberto Ramento, Godofredo David, Roman Tiples Jr., Felixberto Calang, Erme Foja, Bart Espartero, Gaspar Bañez, Ephraim Fajutagana, Valentine Lorejo Jr., and Warlito Baldomero.

“ST Queen”

Meanwhile, calling the president “ST Queen” or State Terrorism Queen, the militant women’s group Gabriela said it is government agents who more often than not perpetrate the terrorist acts that victimize women and children.

On the other hand, the group said, Sison and his wife, Juliet, are known defenders of women and human rights. They reportedly “underscored the importance of a women’s movement to forward genuine liberation,” said Lana Linaban, Gabriela spokesperson.  

The group also deplored the European Union’s declaration of Sison as a terrorist.  “It is a pity that these countries have succumbed to the pressure of the world-class bully, the United States,” Linaban averred.  Bulatlat.com 

We want to know what you think of this article.