New Year’s wish of college editors: New Year’s Resolution for Pres. Aquino

The following are some of college editors’ proposed 2013 New Year’s Resolution for President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino, as compiled by the College Editors’ Guild of the Philippines (CEGP) national office:

More prudent spending. The government should monitor spending especially with the implementation of the Sin Tax Law. – Patrick Ong, Editor in chief of The LaSallian, official student publication of De LaSalle University-Manila

Ang New Year’s Resolution ko para kay Pnoy ay: palayain na ang mga political prisoners dahil naging sitwasyon na ito ng tatay niya. Hindi na nga makatarungan ang pagkakakulong sa kanila sapat na sigurong lumaya sila dahil wala silang dapat pagbayaran. – Elena Sebastian, University of Perpetual Help- Binan

Noynoy’s New Year’s Resolutions:
1.) I will commit myself toward the formation of a just, humane, and sustainable economy that genuinely works for the people, not the other way around.
2.) I will end all foreign debts by refusing to pay them.
3.) I will prioritize economic and social development that grows from the grassroots-up, free from the impositions of foreign creditors, the demands of multinational corporations or the whims of the United States.
4.) I will favor and foster local industries to generate the sort of jobs this country desperately needs.
5.) I will stop manipulating, or allowing the manipulation of, government statistics on poverty and unemployment for PR purposes.
6.) I will seek an end to entrenched corruption by ensuring all public officials, from the highest to the lowest offices of the land, who veer away from the highest standards of integrity and ethical restraint, see justice and are behind bars by the end of my term.
7.) I will order an immediate halt to any and all forms of “development” which lead to the abuse of human rights and degradation of environment.
8.) I swear to combat the worst impacts of climate change through both adaptation and mitigation measures and the promotion of sustainable alternatives to national development.
9.) I will deliver an immediate, open, frank and public apology to the Filipino people and international observers for all human rights violations committed by the military under all previous administrations and under my own administration, which, as the current commander in chief of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, I, above all, am responsible for.
10.) In accordance with the Constitution, I will end all political dynasties, including my own, by stepping down, gracefully and honorably, upon the completion of my term, and by compelling all of my relations – kabarilans, kabarkadas and kamaganaks – still in office to do the same.
11.) I shall withdraw my support from all forms of legislation that run contrary to freedom of speech and good governance (i.e. Cybercrime Law), and support the passage of laws which ensure and enhance both (i.e. Freedom of Information Bill).
PS- I will stop noynoying on all of the above.
CJ Chanco, Features Editor of The LaSallian

Stop smoking like I did. Hindi dahil sa mahal ang yosi kundi dahil sa masama rin ito sa ibang tao.-Christian R. Tuazon, PUP-Manila

I believe Pres. Aquino’s New Year’s resol should be putting to end its desperation in defending its human rights violations. – Reynard Magtoto, AB Journalism major, Bicol University

This 2013, Aquino should quit blaming the previous administration and start leading a government far from the shadows of EPGMA’s rule. Also, PNoy should reconsider his priorities and attend to important legislations that have been gathering dust such as FOI bill. – Jefferson Geva, Bicol University

Pres. Aquino is not getting any younger. For 2013, I wish he would pay attention to his failing eyesight, which has contributed to his failure to see the reality of the worsening human rights situation in the country. – Jan Marcel Ragaza, San Beda-Manila Law School

Ang masasabi ko lang, bago siya pumirma ng mga magiging batas, basahin muna niya nang masinsinan. At kung maaari, ibasura ang Cybercrime Law, dahil ang pagpasa ng batas na ito ay malinaw na paglabag sa Art. III, Sec. 4 ng ating constitution. – Rose Valle Jaspe, Third year, Broadcast Communication major, PUP-Manila

Kung ako si Aquino, ang New Year’s Resolution ko ay matutunan ko kung paano matuto. Para hindi ko na magawa ang mga pagkakamali ng mga nauna sa akin at pagkakamali ko rin. – XL Fuentes, BS Agriculture, UP Los Banos, former student council chairperson

Sa tingin ko, ang dapat na maging New Year’s resolution ni Aquino ay huwag nang maging late ever. Maging maagap na siya sa lahat ng bagay. Hindi porke’t PNoy siya ay pangangatawanan na niya ang Pinoy Time. – Jian Carlo Gomez, Second year, BA Philippine Studies, UP Diliman

Sana ay maging resolution ni Aquino na gamitin ang lenteng maka-mamamayan. Sana naiisip niya na ang kanyang mga ipinapatupad ay nakasasagabal sa pagpapayabong ng mga karapatan ng mga Pilipino. Sana ay tigilan na niya ang kapritso sa buhay, iniinggit na niya ang 99% ng lipunan. – Marky Tagala, University Student Council-UP Diliman

People won’t be giving him a free pass on his third year and good public relations from a team in Malacañang can only go so far. The administration should give genuine solutions to the problems of the Filipino people and make it it’s primary task. – Krista Melgarejo, former student council chairperson of UP Mindanao

Aquino ought to be more patient this year and avoid being easily affected by constructive memes in the internet. If he really wanted to lead this nation in a “tuwid na daan,” I think it is time to be more assertive and bring forth a more consultative government. – Robert Gatbonton, President of De LaSalle University-Araneta Supreme Student Council

Yosi out. – Jeliford Magyoyo, University of St. Louis-Tuguegarao

Sana i-review niya ang Philippine Constitution at nang maalala niya ang mga probisyong tuwang-tuwa niyang nilalabag. – Rochey Natividad, Lyceum of Aparri

A new haircut and no budget cuts. – Liana Acuzar, former editor in chief of The Louisian Courier, official student publication of University of St. Louis-Tuguegarao

Aquino’s so-called achievements in 2012 have been dwarfed by the intensifying poverty and joblessness in the country. In 2013, the president should take the unexpected journey and finally hear the people’s long-standing call for genuine social reforms.

His New Year’s resolutions should focus on these two: political and economic aspects. For economic, he should promote inclusive growth by not only creating more jobs, but also increasing the salaries and wages of Filipino workers in the country. On the political side, he could start by expediting the passage of FOI bill, and be one with netizens in junking the Cybercrime Law. – Marjohara Tucay, Executive Vice President, Kabataan Partylist and student of UP College of Mass Communication

Iwasang maging impulsive sa pag-iimplement ng laws/bills. And get rid of smoking habit, mukhang nakaka-apekto sa pag-iisip. – April Rica Laput, University of Immaculate Conception – Davao City (Bankerohan) campus

To allocate sufficient government funding to education, especially to State Universities and Colleges. – Cleve Arguelles, Student Regent of University of the Philippines

(https://www.bulatlat.com)

Share This Post

One Comment - Write a Comment

1. My sincere admiration to our young editors for their intellectual gift.
    Just sad to feel how they see things, how they speak their language in their desperate wish to right the wrong, how limited their jundgement on the President is (some too personal), how they fail to see the countless good sides of PNoy.
    I encourage cooperation and participation in all moves to make the country a better place, instead of overusing speech (or the freedom of it) to criticize.