December 20, 2014     Philippines
Support alternative journalism. Donate to Bulatlat.com.

November 24, 2012
Student journalists mark 3rd year of massacre

By SIDLANGAN NATIVIDAD
Bulatlat.com

MANILA– Student journalists from different student publications under the banner of the College Editors Guild of the Philippines-NCR (CEGP) held a protest action in front of the Mendiola Peace Arch a day before the November 23 Ampatuan Massacre commemoration.

Campus journalists hold protest at the Mendiola Peace Arch marking the third anniversary of the Ampatuan massacre.(Photo by Sidlangan Natividad/ bulatlat.com)

Student journalists carried three body trails made of newspapers decorated with the calls ‘End Impunity Now!’, ‘Stop killing Journalists’ and ‘Defend Press Freedom,’ which, according to CEGP, symbolize ‘three years of continuing lack of justice and rampant impunity.’

The Ampatuan Massacre was labeled as the single most infamous event for journalists by the Committee to Protect Journalists, and subsequently has been known worldwide as the International Day to End Impunity following the grim atrocity that caused the death of 58 people, 32 of whom were journalists.

“We have seen three years of injustice unfold before us and Aquino’s promise remains to be press releases only,” Romina Astudillo, CEGP-NCR chairwoman, said.

Various formations of CEGP from other regions, such as those in Southern Tagalog, Palawan, Visayas, and Mindanao also held protest actions to commemorate the massacre.

A student journalist calls for justice for the victims of the Ampatauan Massacre .(Photo by Sidlangan Natividad/ bulatlat.com)

CEGP-NCR also joined the main commemoration of the Ampatuan Massacre alongside journalists, and press freedom and human rights advocates on Nov. 23.

“The country has been labeled as one of the most dangerous places for journalists. Sadly, we have earned that moniker well thanks to the insincerity of this administration to give justice that the people deserve,” Astudillo said.(http://bulatlat.com)

ARTICLE TOOLS
Printer-Friendly Version Printer-Friendly Version

TAGS
,
CATEGORIES
* Latest PostsnameHuman RightsnameMedia
REPRINT
Feel free to reprint, repost or republish this material. (Read Bulatlat's syndication policy.)

One thought on “Student journalists mark 3rd year of massacre

1. Pingback: Playing the Pieces: Agenda-Setting and the Philippine Press | A Cynic Meets Hope

BROWSE BY SECTION OR SUBJECT ››

Politics
Economy
Human Rights
OFWs & Migration
Agrarian Reform
Labor & Employment
Urban Poor
Environment
Education
Youth
Indigenous Peoples

Women & Children
Health
Media
Culture
Poetry
Analysis & Opinion
Regions
International
Democratic Space
Press Releases
Downloads

ON THE FRINGES (BULATLAT STAFF BLOG) ››