November 27, 2014     Philippines
Support alternative journalism. Donate to Bulatlat.com.

July 25, 2009
Bill to Mark ‘National Campus Press Freedom Day’ Filed

By JANESS ANN J. ELLAO
Bulatlat.com

MANILA — Bayan Muna (People First) Rep. Teodoro Casiño filed on July 25 a bill that would recognize the observance of the said date as the National Campus Press Freedom Day.

Aside from marking July 25 as a special day for the campus press, House Bill No. 6611, or “An Act Recognizing the Observance of July 25 of Every Year as the National Campus Press Freedom Day, and for Other Purposes”, also aims to recognize the promotion and protection of the inviolable right of the campus press.

In his explanatory note, Casiño underscored the contribution of campus press during the dark days of martial law for exposing the true state of affairs of the country and how they continue to promote freedom of the press and defend the interest and the welfare of the Filipino people.

July 25 is a historical day for the College Editors Guild of the Philippines (CEGP), the largest, oldest existing and only student organization of its kind in the Asia-Pacific region. Founded on July 25, 1931, the Guild celebrates its 78th founding anniversary this year.

Casiño also recognized the number of student journalists and alumni who sacrifice their lives as they safeguard the ideals of campus press and strive for the fulfillment of its mission.

The proposed date of the National Press Freedom Day is also the birthday of Ernesto Rodriguez Jr., a former editor-in-chief of the official student publication of National University, The National, and founder of CEGP.

HB 6611 mandates elementary, secondary and tertiary levels to support and provide assistance to any events and activities organized by the students in recognition of the National Press Freedom Day. (Bulatlat.com)

ARTICLE TOOLS
Printer-Friendly Version Printer-Friendly Version

TAGS
, ,
CATEGORIES
* Latest PostsnameEducationnameMedianameOther Stories
REPRINT
Feel free to reprint, repost or republish this material. (Read Bulatlat's syndication policy.)

BROWSE BY SECTION OR SUBJECT ››

Politics
Economy
Human Rights
OFWs & Migration
Agrarian Reform
Labor & Employment
Urban Poor
Environment
Education
Youth
Indigenous Peoples

Women & Children
Health
Media
Culture
Poetry
Analysis & Opinion
Regions
International
Democratic Space
Press Releases
Downloads

ON THE FRINGES (BULATLAT STAFF BLOG) ››